Friday, May 20, 2011

Ironwidow's Race Report of St George

Brett wrote a race report as a "view from the other side of the fence" so thought I would publish that  too. Made me chuckle at times!

Spot the Ironwidow in Arches Nat'l Pk. (Clue: just R of centre standing on the boulders in bottom third)

Ironwidow in Veyo
The Ironwidows Race Report         

Finally the day had arrived! Months of nodding in agreement to disjointed conversations and evenings of watching telly by myself while “the girl”, Chris, had another early night were over.

A strategy had been hatched with my fellow “Ironwidower”, Iain, that he would go out to the swim start and transistion one, while I would position myself early on the bike course. Then we would meet later out on the bike course.

It had dawned as forecast … hot … hair blower dry and hot! So I positioned myself where any good support crew member would … Starbucks – coffee and free internet! That way I could keep track of the swim results. Things were not looking so good … so I ordered another coffee!

During the week I had scoped out the ideal position to offer my words of support from … near the top of one of the many hills … what I hadn't counted on that bunches (cycling style) were coming through … but being honest “the girl” and the “the other girl”, Zarnia, were riding to the rules! Before I could get a word in “the girl” had told me “that was her worst IM swim!” and she was gone … oh well, things were normal I thought, nothing to worry about! Meanwhile following close behind was “the other girl” smiling and enjoying being on the bike, wahoo!

With them through the leg of the bike that leads to where the two laps start and finish, I popped home got onto the bike and crossed town, to the major corner of U18 and Snowpark canyon, here was a fast corner were there would be lots of action after a 17 mile down hill section … I arrived just as the first pros were finishing their first lap and flying they were just spectacular speeds around the corner enhanced by the sound of deep carbon wheels on a smooth surface! This was a major intersection six lanes crossed by four in the other direction, traffic control was good spectator control was scary as numbers built the edged out onto the road taking up a lane creating the blind lead in to the corner, creating more than one crash!
Ah, life is good.

Right on time “the girl” came through looking focused and not saying much! Phew! Meanwhile “the other girl” came through smiling, seemingly making up some time! Between laps my fellow Ironwidower demonstrated his roots with a wee jig, when he stepped off the footpath in his barefeet on to the road. Lessoned learned I thought heat, no shade, barefeet do not mix! Only he did it a second time when the Kiwi Pro Bevin came through!

Again we split our resources the other Ironwidow moving on and I headed off to get some more fluids! But coming back I punctured … shit I hope it is only me! Ahhh the worry of support crewing, by this stage I had got back to the intersection and then could see not only cyclist coming down and into the town but also the runners heading out and back. It had now reached into the thirties and humidity was very low. I watched Chris come through on the bike what seemed a slightly faster lap than the first. I headed down into Diagonal street, where my fellow Ironwidower was held up. This street was where the cyclist and runners came in and out so was fully blocked off with three aid stations set up as party central. You wouldn't believe my luck … a second bloody puncture! As I walked down the street to the bike shop to purchase more inner tubes I spied “my girl” running towards me … elbows flying looking good with form! Sweet! I thinking, looks like we are in for a good race!

On arriving at the bike shop sitting outside were two salad dodging ironman competitors who had pulled out of the race after the bike discussing, how good they are at doing two thirds of the race!
Staple diet of an Ironwidow on race day

With the tube replaced and an extra one in my pocket I headed through town to the run turn around, I didn't have to wait long when “the other girl” came through smiling and running strongly! When she enquires ... how is my girl going? Gulp, you mean you haven't seen her? I think! My mind starts to race … mmm something is a miss here! So I slowly move up the road to see if I could see “my girl” ahead of us … when she pops into sight still heading to the turn around … walking, wet sponges stuffed ala Macka! Looking very distressed. Oh no! The race has turned to custard … big time!

We had a disjointed conversation which just made me more concerned … it turns out the medics at one of the early aid station made her sit out for 10 – 15 minutes because of the heat. By this stage it was over 90 F (30C). As we talked the Aid Station team leader came up to us and made sure that “my girl” was alright to continue, taking control, he saturated several face clothes and told us to head to next aid station and re- assess it there. Genuine concern and excellent support from the aid stations “the girl” made it one aid station at a time (they are at every mile). By the time “my girl” had made it back into town, my stress levels had dropped and I left her to complete the next lap by herself.

I had never seen so many people walking on an Ironman marathon leg. I headed back to the apartment to swop the bike for the car and then up to the run turn around again. When “the other girl” came through, grabbing a popiscle from the aid station she headed strongly back to the finish line with the chance of finishing in daylight for the first time!

It was a nervous wait … then “my girl” appeared running! Wahooo! 6.35pm at the turn around night fall was 8.38pm A good chance she could finish before nightfall too! Cheering her on I left for the finish line!

Once again the nerves started, finally with my fellow Ironwidower we were able to welcome “his girl” in! Just over 13 hours and in the daylight! Congrats for a day where she just got stronger and stronger!

The butterflys I had turned to stampeding elephants while I waited … and waited … the lights came on … it got dark … When finally “my girl” arrived, not very happy but finishing a very tough day out! I was so pround of her ability to just keep on moving forward, when all her mind was saying “pull the f**k out!”, “go on just quit”

Boy I was pleased that I didn't have to race in that heat … described by some as trying to race with a hair blower turned on full in your face! Over 18% did not finish!

When I finally got through to the family area, “my girl” was not in good shape, to say the least! “The other girl” headed off to the medical area and brought back a medic and wheel chair and we headed off to see a doctor, after a while they released her and the day was over!
Practice for carrying me home post-race

Starring
Ironwidower – Brett
My fellow Ironwidower – Iain
My Girl – Chris
The Other Girl – Zarnia

and yes people were harmed in the making of this!



Hope you enjoyed this alternative perspective! All his words, not mine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment