Monday, August 5, 2013

More Hawaii in pictures.

USS Arizona memorial @ Pearl harbor
Dangers of the tropics
Acai brekky



Thought I'd share a few pictures from my trip to Maui. Hawaii is a fabulous place, the people are lovely and the climate is perfect ........I became addicted to fresh pineappples over there.
 Hibiscus flower     
 
 
Whale skeleton at Whalers Village


I'm not sure what blogger does with the photos but somehow they keep moving to places I don't want them to and then I can't place them back to where I'd like them or get the text to where I want it. Hence I don't work in typesetting or graphic design :)
Mum and I spent our last 3 days together in Waikiki; plenty of shopping + fine dining along with a trip on the bus to Pearl Harbour, which far exceeded my expectations. I admit I didn't really know much about the Asia-Pacific involvement in WW2 or understand why Japan  and the USA was involved in a war that apparently involved the Nazis invading various countries of Western Europe. However, an informative movie made up of newsreel from the period and narration gave me clarity and understanding of the significance of the attack on Pearl harbour. The short boat trip out to the memorial and the wreck of the USS Arizona is well worth a visit, albeit a rather  stark reminder of the horrors of war and why we must acknowledge and be very grateful to the servicemen and women who fought to defend our nations to enable us to have what we have today.


USS Arizona wreck


 
Also of note was a fruitful trip to Ala Moana boulevard- a 3 floor shopping mall with all the US chain stores a girl could possibly ever want :)  Needless to say a bit of $$ was spent in Lululemon.


What a wonderful place..... I can't wait to visit Hawaii again. Only 8 and a half hour flight from Auckland, NO jet lag as the time difference is only an hour. Next time I hope to visit the Big Island and see what all the fuss is about there. Wakiki is great but very busy with scores of medium to high end boutiques and high rise hotels. Maui has a very relaxed, quiet vibe but one is never bored there!

Home on the big bird

No comments:

Post a Comment