Thursday, November 21, 2013

Weekend in Brisbane and other exciting news!

Just a quick update… coach john gave me a whole week off after the half with instructions to have a "MAJOR CHILLOUT WEEK" and no more than one easy session per day for exercise. I did a couple of short recovery swims and a visit to the gym interspersed with plenty of walking which I really enjoy but never have time to do as much as I would like.

Friday 15th was our local holiday, Canterbury Anniversary day a.k.a Show Day so I had decided a couple of weeks prior to go visit one of my best friends, Deb, in Brisbane. She moved there six years ago and have caught up when she has been back over for a visit but I still had not made it to Brisbane so decided this would be perfect as I didn't have the stress of trying to fit in training, Brett was away down south traffic managing a bike tour so why not? Airpoints dollars paid for my flight and I was lucky enough to be able to stay with Deb and her new lad at their four bedroom house in the suburbs. Brilliant!

Had a great weekend, due to the time difference the flight leaves Christchurch at 6.20am and arrives in Brisbane 7am as they are three hours behind. I had been awake since 2.30am so late Friday afternoon was a serious struggle to keep my eyes open and I eventually succumbed to bed at 7.30pm. We had had a great catch up - coffee and tasty banana bread at a cafe overlooking the river + CBD then a long two hour walk on the trails at Mount Coot-tha.

Saturday morning I woke up at 6 am, refreshed after a very long immobile sleep! I had been instructed that we were going to Saturday swim squad at University of Queensland aquatic centre; Deb is an accomplished ultra runner but currently injured so clocks up her mileage aqua jogging and Rob ( her lad) is competitive swimmer from way back. I was a little nervous but assured it would be fun and easily within my capabilities. An outdoor 50m pool- heaven!
I swam in lane 1 ( the slow people :) and had a thoroughly enjoyable time. I had forgotten how much fun a squad environment is and the extra push it gives you. Best part was the IM sets; I can't swim fly without fins and do head up ( polo) instead but I love swimming all four strokes as I find it helps my freestyle no end.
After swimming we went to a nearby cafe by the UQ tennis courts and enjoyed the obligatory morning latte and a delectable feed of fresh fruit salad, banana and walnut bread with maple ricotta for breakfast. YUM>
BFFs

Brekky for hungry swimmers

After such a scrumptious repast it was time to shop. First port of call- lululemon of course! A few purchases made by all parties present then on to the central city and luckily the luxury of parking the car   in Deb's designated work car park ( parking here is REALLY expensive). We checked out several shops and I did manage to buy one Xmas present thankfully. We stopped to have a salad for lunch in the food court of a mall then more shopping. I bought myself a pair of skinny jeans; i had to go down a size from the ones I had taken in to try on - excellent!! - and fortunately had the opinion of the BFF to let me know which end of the baby elephant-----------baby giraffe continuum my backside resembled.
I don't think they are made for bettys though- bit tight over the calf muscles!
Thirsty work this shopping lark



We made it home late afternoon and duly refreshed with a cup of tea then a glass of wine. Then it was time to tidy ourselves up and catch the train back to the central city for some normal adult Saturday night behaviour. 

We railroaded some American tourists into taking our photo as we strolled along the river front then found a bar that didn't mind men wearing shorts so we perched ourselves at a bench and after one and a half pints of beer and slurred conversation and giggles, we decided it was time for dinner so found a suitable restaurant further along the waterfront, munched on some dinner and a little more beer then we toddled tipsily back to the station to get the train. For the second night in a row, I passed out as soon as my head hit the pillow!
Brisbane by night

The three musketeers


Sunday: luckily hangover free when I awoke about 6am … phew. We went for a pretty long walk on the trails of Mt Coot-tha and ended up in the Botanic Gardens cafe, catching up with an acquaintance that we both knew from Christchurch, who now lives in Brisbane…..and we randomly bumped into on one of the trails. Cool. Then it was time to go to the airport and say goodbye….
Settled myself into the Koru lounge and got back on the grid to find an email saying I was ON team Big Sexy Racing for 2014!   **** http://www.chris-mcdonald.net/tag/bigsexy-racing******

I applied the previous week…thinking I had NO chance, especially as it stipulated that they were looking for US based athletes and elite amateurs; I certainly wouldn't put myself in that category.Nonetheless, in for a penny, in for a pound - turning 40 in January  means that my aspirations for 2014 are to step out of my comfort zone and have some awesome experiences. I have a reasonably full race schedule until June so why the hell not?!! 
Once I work out how, I can post the logo on this blog. How cool, i was needing a new tri suit too. Ha ha.

Right, enough waffle - need to go foam roll my  calves as some alien with a sledge hammer battered them during today's run. I have a sprint ( ouch!) tri on Sunday……so hoping I don't get my a** completely handed to me by all these youngsters ( since am bound to be one of the oldest in the 20-39 AG) and short course types. Gah!!


No comments:

Post a Comment