Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Epic France Day 1 - sea swim + Mont Ventoux

Written in retrospect as its now day 3 :-)

Horrendously cold and rough swim race to kick off camp, I survived it though - with a large amount of salt water intake and breast stroking ( poa - Garmins do not recognise breast stroke as an open water stroke !! )

I survived the swim by channelling Dory and also reminding myself it was still better than staring into mouths in Linwood :-)

Us girls + Charlesy were driven ~ 45 km up the road then started our ride, winding thru some rolling country side for ~ 75 k until we started the official climb up Mont Ventoux. It was hot, I was struggling to breathe and cough and started to hyperventilate in bits as I had in the swim. I couldnt put out the sort of power I would expect climbing but conceded that I am still under the weather and there was NO way I had come this way to NOT knock that bastard off. SO I did, altho I di get in the van for the descent to Vaison as I felt it prudent not to have cold air rushing across my painful chest.

We spent the night in some medieval hotel, stunningly beautiful. I managed to shuffle round a short run in 20 mins in the warm evening air.

day 1 done, hoping I had not dug myself too much of a hole already !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment