Saturday, July 2, 2016

Epic France day 2- Vaison to Embrun, the day of little power ;-)

After a pleasant sleep in my large bed , it was a 5.45am wake up ( sleep in!! Yay ) for an easy 30 minute run at 6 am round Vaison, then as usual a mad scramble to ensure bags all organised to be distributed amongst support crews and bike gear for the day all ready.

Breakfast was very tasty here, fresh cherries and good coffee. Once again I managed to exert some self control and say NO to the pain au chocolat.

Our ride for the day was quite a long one but nothing with the gradient of Monday - I have to say that as soon as I sat on my saddle, I knew I was in for a painful; day. I felt a bit better in terms of cough and the chest so hoped I was getting on top of things but the whole ride ( all 7 h 20 of it) was a laborious exercise. I just couldnt put out ANY power and I mean ANY. My average power for a ride of 170km, even with 1700m of total ascent was only 98 watts and my NP was ~ 110 if lucky. Pathetic. I was very grateful to Di and Zarnia for waiting for me at each aid point, must have been a painful day for them having a snail for company :-)

We made it to Embrue, circumnavigated the town and still no joy of finding the hotel; Garmins going haywire beeping in confusion so luckily we found an old man who headed us in the right direction and we made it. That was a long day :-)

We were bussed down to the lake for a swim shortly after, I couldn't get my wetsuit on my clammy skin for love nor money so opted to go non wettie and it was lovely and warm so I managed 21 mins.

Dinner was at the hotel... oh gosh I am so craving masses of fresh vegetables :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment