Thursday, July 7, 2016

Day 11. La Grande Finale, triathlon

Awoke a little drowsy after a good sleep, luckily one of the boys had made coffee so enjoyed a coffee or 2 then struggled to eat breakfast this morning. I may have reached saturation point with food by now ;-)

Today's schedule was a triathlon by Lac Mondriond. 1300m approx swim straight down the lake, 28km ride up the Col de joux vert and down into Morzine back to the lake then 3 laps of the lae to make a 9km run.

We had our briefing, I was still in confusion re where we were riding but hey ho. Brain fog n all that :-)

We were driven to the far end of the lake, wetties on , quick warm up then John shouted 4-3-2-1- GO!! Faaaark, felt like I was choking as my suit felt too tight round th neck or was it constriction from the cold water. Anyhow, channeled my inner Dory again , sighted quite well ( I think) then got out last but could see a cpl of white Epic caps just in front.

Total uncoordiantion in T1, helped by support crew and on to the bike, straight uphill really but it was a pleasant climb, peppered with goats, walkers with sticks and downhill knuckle draggers up the top. Nice descent into Morzine ( didnt get lost!!!!!!!) and pedalled crawled into t2 D.F.L. Oh well, get er done.

Once onto the run I felt good, ran 46.20 for the 9km, including a quick wee stop in the trees.

So, I not get camp completion as missed equation due to sickness on day 3 - I could have made it up to day but decided that I was happy with where I was at and that i had achieved far more than I ever thought possible, plus I felt it would be unfair on those who were sick now and unable to make it up.
I feel in terms of missing sessions in the camp it should be just like any race - its tough shit and your own call, tack ons for extra points if you want but if you miss something on that day then you have missed it. I had to make that call with my chesty cough and know it was the right thing at the time, just like bike mechanicals - its all part of competition and sometimes the deck of cards fall your way and sometimes against you.

Now its time for a weekend in Milan with my Epic girls, Di and Z - shopping, pizza and NO TRAINING. Cant wait!!

Camp has been a great experience to share with everyone but especially those 2 cool chicks, i am sure we will reminisce well into our old age :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment