Monday, July 22, 2019

Day 2- Cols, Cowbells, Concrete pills + combustion

Eaux Bonnes to Bagneres de Luchon via Cols d'Aubisque, Souloir, Tourmalet, Aspin + Peyresourde

154km 4160m asc ( ride time 8h 57)

You know that thing where you have a bad dream then wake up and realise it was only a dream. Like the torture of climbing for eternity on your legs and having your arse on a saddle for longer than a working day when the previous day had left its mark......

Finally some cream for coffee and also peanut butter with brekky - an auspicious start to the day then a quick delivery of bags to the van, photo op wearing the green jersey and hoping some of Scott Molina's energy would rub off it onto me then ready to depart!
I left about 10 minutes before the grupetto, basically we were straight into the climb up the Col d Aubisque which is 12km with an average of ~7% I think.
From previous camps I knew the first hour or two always feels horrendous and this didn't disappoint, however the last 3km were out of the trees and into the sun and the views were stunning; greeted by a load of friendly horses at the top.

Quick photo op, filled up a bottle as it was getting warm...nice descent which takes you part way down then you climb up the Col du Souloir which is a pleasant 4% wish for 3km, then a nice long descent and a 25km section along a valley which takes you to the base of the Tourmalet. I was having major troubles with bruised sit bones along with some chafing from the day before but flat sections and bumpy roads were causing me strife to the point where I stopped , had a large cry then turned back down the road to the van and asked Ian if I could get a lift up the valley as reckoned it would be ok climbing. Thank goodness....he dropped me off in Luz St Saveur which was packed busy and I met a few of the guys there ( yellow jersey group). I explained my plight and George kindly gave me 2 nurofen which did the trick and took away sit bone discomfort, thank god!
From here the climb up the ( in) famous Col de Tourmlaet begins, 17km at around average 7-8 %.
The gradient felt very pleasnat after the Mari Blanque yesterday but my god it was BAKING hot. Like 32 degrees hot and no shade....just keep pedalling...you pass through a village and then a ski town further up and after that it had begun to cool down a little which made it easier. The last km felt like the steepest one, was met by Olly who gave me a cup of coke , quick photo op by the famous monument altho again, I look slightly retarded in the picture so that one won't be published.....

Lovely long descent then a rolling ~ 7km into Peyolle for lunch which is about 5km from the Col d'Aspin. Riding along that valley in 32 degrees felt like a furnace, so hot with little shade....almost unbearably so, especially when you have come from a Christchurch winter! It was a welcome sight to see Julie and Cath at the lunch stop so had some food, a sit in the shade then on my merry way up the Aspin which was pleasant climb, again ~ 6-7 % wish but it was FUCKING HOT. I mean FUCKING HOT.I stopped a couple of times in the shade of trees to try cool off a bit, when its that hot you have to keep it very steady and it was a bit frustrating but at least a shortish climb. Quick photo op at the top then enjoyed the slight breeze descending altho today was so hot that you could feel the air warming as you dropped further down and once back in the valley t was like being in a fan oven. This must be what hell feels like ?! Hmmmm.

Its about 10km along another sweltering valley and through a pretty little town, at this point I felt like I was actually going to spontaneously combust - being France, nothing seemed to be open but i found a public toilet and rinsed my bike shirt under the cold tap and put it back on to help cool me, met the girls further up to top up a bottle before climbing the Peyresourde and we had a big downpour which altho short-lived, was very welcome!
Last climb of the day was the Peyresourde, 9km at average of 7%. Again a lovely climb which would have been a little quicker and a tad more enjoyable if it hadn't been so hot but them the breaks and I'd rather heat than pissing rain and cold.

The best reward for the huge day was the 14km descent down into Bagneres de Luchon, billiard ball smooth road with some wide sweeping bends, breeze in your face., made the whole day feel worth it just for that... something only those who cycle can understand!!

This is a pretty little spa town, reasonably busy and I suspect probably a ski town over winter. We have amazing accommodation here for 2 nights at the Hotel Alti on the main street, properly functioning air con, decent wifi and crisp white bed linen.
A tasty diner, bit of wine consumption and chewing the fat. I now possess the red jersey as I "won" the KOM on the Tourmalet ( KOM based on % FTP) altho I am not in the lead for the polka dot jersey. ( YET. Yes, its only day 2....I have ambitions...hehe). Forgot that the Peyresourde was a KOM but I was a bit fried by then anyway.

Day 3 starts with a run somewhere up the hill at 6.30am. Forecast to be 38 degrees so better to be done early, then a spin later to swim in a lake somewhere altho was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to park myself on a bike seat today, am in need of a sheepskin cushion :-)

Right better get ready for this run, had the most terrible sleep and woke up at 4am. Quads hurt, back hurts, butt hurts, arms hurt from the descending. Poor old me, what kind of idiot pays to put themselves through this ?!!

1 comment:

  1. Loving the blogs. Thanks for posting them. Hope you find a nice sheepskin cushion!

    ReplyDelete