Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Day 10 Epic camp - finale, fly, fun + far too many beers 🤣

Last day!! Woke up feeling pretty smashed today ( as expected?!). Brekky was not until 7.30 so spent time trying to organise stuff + managed to exercise restraint at the buffet as we were swimming at 9 am.

Today’s schedule was filled with fun activities...🤔... a400 IM race, 200 kick race then a triathlon which was a1 km pool swim, 28 k bike( 2 laps.... not flat!) and 7.4 k run , partway on bike course( not flat).

The non fishies started first, 2 to a lane for the IM race+ John had said only fly was allowed; no polo ....the most fly I have ever done is 25 m at a time, with fins. I burst out laughing halfway thru the first length at the sheer ridiculousness of it, or more likely hypoxia induced euphoria! Somehow got through that and the rest of it, then we had a straight 200 K race, any K allowed ( no fins ) no strokes. Surprisingly I didn't finish last on this one, helped by a good breast stroke kick I think.

After that it was straight into 1000m for first part of final day triathlon, as expected I was DFL out of the water, took an age to get into my bike shoes etc then set off. Ouch, nothing in the legs today, I mean nothing....just had to do best I could but was probably only at Ironman watts to be honest. Again, DFL off the bike as hadn't made any inroads however from what I could see of everyone else, they appeared to be suffering just as badly ( strange, that?!!). The run started with an uphill km ( OUCH) out to a turn cone ~ 3.7 km away. All i could think in my head was that as each km ticked off, Epic camp would be done and altho I have had the most amazing time and climbed well out of my comfort zone, I think limits had been reached. I think the 400 IM was the final nail in the coffin :-)

Once done with that we had a wee challenge to do on the lawn outside the hotel- planking comp to see who could last the longest ( I think Seth won that one) , press ups ( I got to 32) then a wall sit which was over for me in about 30 secs as my poor quads couldn't take any more!!

Lunch, bike was packed ( rear derailleur unscrewed and taped to frame this time !!!), showered, ran an errand to the bank and to get decent free wifi in town centre then went for a beer or 2 with Pete and John D. Two pints of a tasty blanche beer and a slice of pizza later, we toddled back to the hotel as it was triathlon quiz time! Winner, winner chicken dinner, who is the biggest tri - geek of them all...?? !!!
We all then headed downtown to a bar and drank a little more beer and ate chips then a rather merry crew headed back to dinner, with a lot of laughter and hilarity........can't actually remember what we were laughing at, anyhoo. John then gave us a de brief of camp and awarded the jerseys - Seth won yellow, Ben got the red and I won the polka dot so was feeling rather chuffed. I was planning to head to bed but Oli said was I not coming to town with a few of the guys so we once again found a nice bar, more beer and then a round of shots of Genepi which is a liquor made from Alpine herbs that grow above 2000m.
More laughter, my abs hurt so much from the swimming that it was almost painful but nothing beats a decent belly cackle :-)
Got to bed around midnight, have hardly slept due to alcohol and panic about the early start as alarm was set for 4.50am as we were leaving for Toulouse at 5.30am. I ended up getting up at 10 to 4 ....... right now feeling a little dusty , not helped by a TSB of -110 as well as having gone cold turkey on the croissants and bread today. Almost ready to listen to some Pink Floyd haha.


Next up is 5 days in Zurich with Mum, a bit of shopping and ZERO training... then in one week's time I'll be back to winter in CHCh( but DECENT COFFEE....!!)

I'll post an Epic camp prologue when I've had a few days to reflect but what an amazing time with a great group of people. And this is a bit of a ramble today,

No comments:

Post a Comment